It is an abnormal bleeding from the uterus, without having any pelvic disease, pregnancy or any medical condition. It occurs mostly before the age of 20 or after the age of 40 years. It reflects a disturbance in the normal cyclic pattern of ovulatory hormonal stimulation to the endometrial lining. The bleeding is completely unpredictable. It may be excessively heavy or maybe less. The bleeding maybe prolonged, frequent or random.
DUB can be diagnosed in a patient who have normal pelvic examination but still suffering from heavy, excessive or unpredictable uterine bleeding.
Causes of Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding:
- Age: DUB occurs mostly in teen age girl or in perimenopausal condition mean after the age of 40 years
- Weight: Obese or overweight girl are more prone to suffer from DUB.
There are some pathological causes for anovulatory bleeding like:
PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) is a medical condition in which anovualtory, oligovulatory or hypergonadism may be present. PCOS patient may have symptoms like infertility, hirsutism with or without hyperinsulinemia, irregular or absence menses and obesity.
Other pathological cause for DUB:
Galactorrhea: may be because of hyperprolactineamia
Thyroid enlargement: hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism
Ecchymosis: bleeding disorder
Visual fields deficits: maybe due to intracranial or pituitary lesion.
Symptoms of Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding (DUB):
- Vaginal bleeding that lasts more than 7 days which normally last for 4-5 days.
- Vaginal bleeding that occurs more often than every 21 -35 days.
- Blood loss of more than 80 ml on each menstrual cycles. If you are soaking and changing your pads every 2 hours, then it is considered as excessive bleeding.